A DWI in North Carolina can result in significant penalties for an accused individual if he or she is convicted or pleads guilty. If one is facing drunk driving charges, it is prudent to take this situation seriously, taking immediate steps to develop the most appropriate defense strategy. An effective defense is based on the details of the individual situation, including previous convictions on a defendant’s record and other details.
Possible defense strategies
Challenging the prosecution’s case can be a complex process, but it is possible to do this if there are certain issues with the initial traffic stop and other aspects of the case. A careful evaluation of any interaction with law enforcement and more may reveal if one of the following could impact the case and determine the course of the defense:
- There was a problem with the Breathalyzer test device.
- The administration of field sobriety tests was invalid or improper.
- There was an issue with how a breath test was administered.
- A blood or urine sample was improperly handled.
- There is much at stake for someone facing a DWI, but with the right defense plan, it may be possible to mitigate potential penalties or seek a dismissal of charges.
No time to waste
After a DUI arrest, there is no time to waste in seeking legal assistance. It is prudent to work with an experienced criminal defense attorney from the earliest possible point in the case. After an arrest or charges, a North Carolina defendant will benefit from taking immediate action to protect his or her long-term interests.